The roots of JDT Islam Orphanage & Educational Institutions trace back to a pivotal moment in history - the year 1921, during the time of the anti-British agitations of Muslims in Malabar. In the face of brutal suppression by the British army, the suffering endured by the people was profound and immeasurable.
Muhammad Abdurrahman Sahib, the then KPCC president and a leader of Khilafat Movement, moved by the plight of his community, appealed to the British authorities to address the problems faced by the Muslims. Despite his efforts, no action was taken, leading him to take the issue to the leading dailies like The Hindu from Madras and Bombay Chronicle, resulting in a report that garnered significant attention and had far-reaching repercussions.
During the All India Khilafat Conference held in Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh, Sahib delivered a heartfelt lecture that highlighted the torment and anguish faced by the Mappila children of Malabar. His impassioned speech resonated deeply with the audience, prompting the formation of a committee, with Maulana Shaukatali as its chairman, to alleviate the sufferings of the Muslims. As part of the relief efforts, Maulana Abdul Qader Qasuri, member of a wealthy family of Punjab Province and a freedom fighter, sent his sons to Malabar at the request of Abdur Rahman Sahib, leading to the establishment of six relief centers that provided free food grains to over 25,000 destitute individuals for more than six months. As a continuation of such activities, JDT Islam Orphanage is started. Many people like Ponmadath Moideen Koya, Kottaparam Maliekal Kadiri Koya Haji provided all kinds of assistance.
In 1922, with the special permission of the then Viceroy Wavel Prabhu, Jam’iyyat Da’wa wa Tablighul Islam (JDT Islam) officially commenced its activities in the new Madathummal House on Silk Street, Kozhikode. The orphanage then moved to the Anchuman-e-Islam Sabha Hall on 3rd July 1922, situated in front of the old Hajoor Kacheri. At its inception, the orphanage embraced 77 orphans, comprising 52 boys and 25 girls.
Under the guidance of Zamorin of Calicut, JDT Islam extended its reach to Jamiyat Hill, Vellimadukunnu. Subsequently, three subsidiary institutions were established in Edavanna, Tirurangadi, and Kodungallur, which eventually flourished into independent entities.
The devastating floods of 1924 and the deadly cholera outbreak of 1943 led to an increase in the orphanage's membership as it continued to fulfill its mission of providing care and education to those in need.
On 25th April 1930, the construction of the main building was initiated with the support of Queen Aisha Bivi Aliraja of Arakkal, but her untimely demise in 1931 halted the progress. However, her third son, Arakkal Hussain Raja, carried forward her legacy and completed the building in memory of his mother on 30th November 1932.
Over the years, JDT Islam expanded its educational offerings, establishing a lower primary school in 1932, which later evolved into a high school in 1957. Today, JDT Islam Orphanage & Educational Institutions continues to shine brightly, providing a nurturing environment and quality education, enlightening the lives of thousands of students, and carrying forward its legacy of compassion and dedication.